Is your microphone not working on laptop ? You’re certainly not alone. But don’t worry – it can be quite easy to fix…
4 Fixes for Microphone Not Working On Laptop
Here’re 4 fixes that have helped other users resolve the microphone not working on laptop in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7 issue. Just work your way down the list until the problem is fixed.
- Allow access to microphone
- Update your audio driver
- Adjust your audio settings
- Troubleshoot hardware issues
If your microphone is not working on laptop , the first thing you want to check is whether you’ve allowed the app you’re using the mic on access to microphone.
Here’s how to do it:
1) On your keyboard, press
the Windows logo key
, then click on
Microphone privacy settings
2) Under the
Allow apps to access your microphone
section, make sure the toggle is
so that you can allow apps access to your microphone.
3) Scroll down to the
Choose which apps can access your microphone
section and make sure
the toggle for the app you’re playing the microphone on
4) Check the mic and see if the microphone not working on laptop issue has been resolved. If yes, then great! But if the microphone is still not working, you should try Fix 2 , below.
One of the most common causes of this problem is an outdated or a faulty audio driver. So you should always make sure to keep the latest audio driver up-to-date. If you don’t have the time, patience or skills to update the driver manually, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy .
Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to be troubled by the wrong driver you would be downloading, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. Driver Easy handles it all.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 steps (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
- Download and install Driver Easy.
Run Driver Easy and click the
button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
l to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the
– you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click
You can also click Update to do it for free if you like, but it’s partly manual.
- Restart your laptop and check if the microphone not working issue has been solved. If the problem lingers on, don’t worry. Here’re two more fixes for you to try.
Ideally Windows can automatically detect your microphone and set it as the default playback device every time it’s plugged into. But that’s not always the case and sometimes we’ll have to set default devices manually and set its sound levels.
To do so:
the sound icon
on the lower-right of your computer screen, then click
tab, then click on
your microphone device
If your microphone device doesn’t show up in the device list , then right-click on the empty space and tick Show Disabled Devices . Then right-click on the microphone device once it appears and click Enable before you do step 2) .
your microphone device again
tab, then drag
the Microphone slider
all the way to
- Click OK to apply the changes in the windows.
- Now that with microphone set as default device and the volume turned up , test your mic and see if the microphone not working on laptop problem has been fixed. If it’s still not working right, move to Fix 4 , below.
If none of the fixes works for you, it’s time to check for potential hardware issues.
You can follow the steps below to narrow down and troubleshoot:
- Connect your microphone device to another port on your laptop. If the mic works in the other port, it suggests this issue is probably caused by a faulty port, if your mic still doesn’t work, move on to 2) , below.
- Connect your microphone device to another computer . If your mic works in another PC, you should contact the vendor of your laptop for advice; if your mic still doesn’t work in another PC, you should contact the vendor of your microphone device for support.
How have the methods above helped you with the troubleshooting? Do you have any ideas or tips to share with us? Drop a comment below and let us know your thoughts.